Wednesday 18 September 2013

What to include in my magazine (font)


In this post I will be discussing what to include in my magazine and if certain elements could be changed or not
The font of a magazine can strongly affect its overall layout and message, because fonts come in many shapes and styles to suit the type of magazine, for example:

-a business magazines font would be straight and formal, linking to the topic of the magazine, something like TAHOMA font

-while a children's magazine has to have a font which is fun and exiting, but also can be easy to read for younger children, such as SNAP ICT

For my magazine I need to test out and decide on one or more particular fonts

 
Lets just say I'm going to call my magazine, 'THE ACADEMY OF AWESOME' (sadly not for the real magazine)

-For this font I have used harlow solid italic
 


THE ACADEMY OF AWESOME

I like the free hand approach to the font as it seems fun and informal, thus making the magazine more interesting. However it is very illegible so people might ignore it due to its lack of clarity. Overall the font doesn’t scream ‘school magazine’, more like ‘retro American diner’, so it’s not suitable for my magazine

-For this next font I have used Calisto MT
  
THE ACADEMY OF AWESOME
I like the structure of the font as it is clear, straight to the point and easy to read, however the overall appearance is too executive and might make the reader lose interest because of it's dull format, it should be suited to a factual magazine about law; not something to inform and attract a wide range of people, primarily students, therefore it wont be suitable for my magazine
 
 
- For this next font I have used is Kristen ITC
 

THE ACADEMY OF AWESOME
 
I really like this font as it is quite playful and cheerful but still easy to read, it also is very bold and because of it's curved structure, a wide range of colours can be applied to it. Therefore I might consider this for my title font, where I could edit it on word art to add more layers of colour or to make it 3D so it stands out even more.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment