Thursday 6 February 2014

How I made my Masthead

 
 
Here is a quick step by step guide on how I made my masthead, I might change it later but so far I am pretty happy with it. I created it on Adobe fireworks as it easier to add, manipulate and move different layers. It took me a few attempts to get it perfect and I did have difficulty removing the white areas.
 First I started off with a custom black canvas with the size of 595 pixels in width and 98 pixels in height. The size is a perfect rectangular shape for a masthead to be located at the top of the cover.
I added the font, 'blackout sunrise' with my chosen name, however the edges are hite, messy and blurred.

Using the brush tool I filled in the gaps in black to create a more refined edge.

As you can See the edges look neater, but still slightly blurred for a 'ghost' effect, this makes the magazine different from others
 
 To link to the genre, I used the brush tool to add black squiggles to represent Amp/Guitar wire with a coil, this obviously makes a direct link to the alternative/rock genre.
 I made the squiggles move through each letter to link them together for a sense of continuity.
so here is the finished masthead, I might change it to my previous pink or blue idea, or I might remove the wire coils depending on the feedback from my draft


No comments:

Post a Comment